Tuesday, February 22, 2011

One Year! A unicycle! A Thousand dollars!


To celebrate a full year of blogging the skyways I am posting this iconic photo of a man who is pushing a unicycle around the skyways to video tape the experience for posterity. His name is Alan Polk, and he is a social worker who is an avid architecture fan, also. We chatted a bit about the Architecture Minnesota contest he plans to enter. If you win, you get a thousand dollars...for showing your opinion on skyways and their impact on street life downtown.

For a thousand bucks, I would push a unicycle with a clown on it around the skyways. Allen is more circumspect. Good luck, dude.

(Note -- I am thinking of entering the contest myself, and must relate that I posted this because I admire Alan's ingenuity and dedication to his task.  I am not sure what the AIA tweeter meant by pointing out this post as a warning of some kind. I think that using a repurposed unicycle is vastly preferable to a Segway or hospital gurney.  My suggestion to Alan was that a camera mounted backwards on an airline travel case and pulled behind one, then reversed in post processing, would provide a smoother DIY tracking shot.  And I can't close without mentioning the 9 minute single take tracking shot that opens "A Touch of Evil", which as far as I know has never been surpassed in the annals of movie making.)

Post Scriptum: I did enter the contest.  You can see Alan and my and 22 other entries here.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: