Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The ethics of public hospitality


I was looking for a place to drink my latte outside of the Caribou in USBank, and this table was available. It came with the relics of an earlier lunch. I thought about many things as I sat, but I mainly thought about the people who would walk off and leave their dirty trays for someone else to bus for them. Some passers-by would stare at me and my two big dirty trays, as though I was a Falstaff and here was the evidence of my wanton excess and indifference. At one point I considered busing the trays myself, just to fix the nick in the veneer of social order. Naw, maybe another day. Today, I feel superior to the jerks who made me look like I was the jerk, finally, leaving my dirty trays when I finally got up and left.

Oh, the ethics of public hospitality.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: